The Bible contains much more than prophecy. It is a group of books that includes history, poetry, prophecy, law, letters, and wisdom literature. The wisdom literature of the Bible contains a great deal of ethical wisdom—principles and advice for daily living and how to live the best life. One book of the Bible that contains plentiful examples of this kind of wisdom is the book of Proverbs. This book tells us: “Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding…” (Proverbs 3:13 NIV). Besides Proverbs, wisdom can be found in other books of the Bible—the “Sermon on the Mount” (Matthew 5-7) and the Epistle of James are examples of wisdom literature in the New Testament. Wisdom from the Bible covers topics that include:
* The value of integrity (Proverbs 28:6).
* The importance of obeying one’s parents.
* Advice for remaining teachable (Proverbs 10:23).
* The danger of arrogance (Proverbs 14:16; 30:32).
* The importance of listening to advice (Proverbs 12:15).
* A foundation for morality—found in the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17).
* Best practices for how to treat other people.
* The importance of choosing good friends
* Practical tips for maintaining healthy sexual relations.
* Warnings about being lazy and the poverty it leads to (Proverbs 10:4).
* Instructions for how to get to heaven (Romans 10:9-10).
The above is a small sampling of the wisdom of the Bible that has been proved to be true across generations and cultures. Ultimately, the wisdom found in the Bible comes from God who is the source of all wisdom. It also tells us where wisdom begins: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9.10). This simply means that knowing that God is there is the starting point to living wisely. But “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” (Psalm 53.1). If you feel that you could use more wisdom in your life, open the Bible. God wants you to know how to live your life to the fullest. The Bible promises, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5 NIV).
Get your copy of Proof God is Real: https://amzn.to/3kIEOyA
Buy a Study Guide for Proof God is Real: https://amzn.to/3ozDlfq
Enroll in the Proof God is Real School of Apologetics: https://www.danielkingministries.com/proof
About the Author: Dr. Daniel King is a missionary evangelist who has traveled to over seventy nations in his quest for souls. His goal is to lead 1,000,000 people to Jesus every year through massive Gospel Festivals, distribution of literature, and leadership training. Because of his experience and research on evangelism, he is widely regarded as one of the world’s leading experts in mass evangelism. As an evangelist, he has a deep interest in using apologetics to convince skeptics that God is real.